Accidental Ingestion: How to Prevent Your Toddler from Getting Poisoned

woree medical centre

Raising a toddler is like watching a suspense movie. You’re always paranoid and constantly cautious about what will happen. In 2016, it’s been found that almost 2,500 children are hospitalized because of poisoning and accidental ingestion in a report by Australian Competition and Consumer Commission. The highest risk age groups were infants (4 weeks to 1-year-old) and toddlers (1 to 4-year-old) who commonly ingest hand sanitizers, detergents, and pens’ ink in their mouth. What should you do to prevent this? Before you reach a no-choice situation but to dial a doctor from a Woree medical centre, here some important tips:

Get the culprits out of reach, ASAP

Any Woree medical centre doctor would say that childproofing your house is necessary, but you know toddlers are persistent. They will climb anything that their little hands can grab. So it’s not enough—what else can you do? Storing chemicals in high shelves and drawers is not that foolproof.  The best thing to do with them is to store them in the storage room or garage with a safety lock—completely out of reach.

Keep the bad ones in their places

Any Woree medical centre these days discourages transferring cleaning chemicals to milk jugs and water containers. Since most of the toddlers still can’t read, they may confuse bleach with milk. This is applicable also to medication.

Watch out for those greens

Some innocent-looking house plants may be Poison Ivy’s pet plants in disguise. Batman would suggest that you know your enemy—make sure to know what kind of plant you’re putting on display on your homes. Your kids might get attracted to the colors and think it’s one of those veggies you want them to eat. The most unassuming but poisonous house plants to your children and pets are the following:

  • Pothos Ivy – A.K.A. the Devil’s Ivy, it is famous as a housewarming gift; but can cause skin irritation and burn if contacted or ingested by a child.
  • Peace Lily – This plant is an excellent air purifier, but if swallowed, is fatal to humans or pets.
  • Oleander – A plant that looks innocent but will cause death just by swallowing its small leaf or nectar.
  • Caladium – A South American bulb plant that can cause mouth swelling and burns.
  • Mother-in-Law’s Tongue – A plant that lives up to its name. It can cause nausea and is toxic when ingested.

Take time to take First-Aid classes

The worst case scenario is when a child ingests a fast-acting and lethal poison if not given medical care in minutes. Before this happens, you can take the time to dial a Cairns doctor and ask if there’s a Cairns family medical seminar about performing first-aid on a child who ingested poison.

Know who to call

It’s always better to have a contingency plan despite following some preventive measures. Knowing the authorities’ numbers to call in your area can save your child. For emergencies, you can dial 000. If the emergency happens in later hours, dial Woree doctors today with this number: 1300-030-030. Usually, After Hour Care services are between 5:00 pm and 7:00 am and are fully bulk billed. You can also go dial the Poison Information Centre through 13-11-26 and enquire from a Poison Specialist.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *